Apercu’s main client since the start of its operation is the STEAG State Power Inc. (SPI) 210 MW Mindanao Power Plant located in a 55-hectare area along Macajalar Bay, within the PHIVIDEC Industrial Estate Brgy. Balacanas – San Martin, Villanueva, Misamis Oriental. Apercu conducted all environmental monitoring in the MPP from 2003 until early 2010. The following are brief descriptions of the environmental monitoring conducted:
- Ambient Air & Noise Monitoring – The frequency of sampling in the 5 stations is for a 1-hour averaging period twice a day (morning & afternoon) weekly. The stations, additionally, were monitored for a 24-hour averaging period once a month.
- Water Quality Monitoring – Monitoring of water quality in the vicinity of the power plant include groundwater, freshwater and marine environs. Two (2) groundwater stations, one freshwater station (Tagoloan River) and 3 marine stations (Macalajar Bay) were sampled on a monthly basis.
- In plant Water Quality Monitoring – Water samples and/or effluents were collected from the boreholes which were monitored on a quarterly basis and the leachate from the ash disposal area, the waste water treatment plant, the multifunction retention basin and the Sewage Treatment Plant which were monitored on a monthly basis.
- Quarterly Marine Monitoring – The marine environment in the immediate vicinity of the power plant site was characterized by the presence of corals and associated reef fish, seagrass, seaweed, soft bottom fauna and plankton communities. Additionally, the surfaces of the pier piles of the jetty harbor corals and other benthic fauna that in turn serve as food sources for fish. The status of these marine resources was assessed on a quarterly basis.
- Quarterly Stack Emissions Sampling – Stack emissions sampling were conducted on the power plant’s 2 boilers and 1 stand-by generator set. The parameters sampled include particulate matter, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, oxygen and mercury. The boilers were sampled for all the enumerated parameters. The generator sets were sampled for all parameters except mercury.
- Annual Environmental Audit – The Audit Team reviewed the ECC, the EIS and formulates a list of commitments and stipulations relevant to the audit period. Visits to the site, the resettlement area and areas where SPI’s livelihood and environmental projects are on-going were conducted. Key informant interviews were conducted during the site visits, as required.
- Annual Public Health Monitoring – The Rapid Epidemiological Assessment framework by Douglas Stockman was used for the annual survey. This method looked into the demographics, water and sanitation, food preparation and nutrition, resources, health and endemic diseases of the local community. The abovementioned information is vital for determining the health status of individuals in the community and for assessing the public health concerns of the affected community.